Hand Surgeons in Singapore
Hand surgery was first recognised by the Academy of Medicine Singapore in 1997. Singapore is one of the few unique countries that has Hand Surgery as a specialty.
The Centre for Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgery (CHARMS) is the first Hand Centre in private practice. It was established in April 30, 2004. Over the years, CHARMS has grown and our Hand Surgeons are dedicated to the practice of Hand and Reconstructive MicroSurgery. Many of us have special interests in the treatment of wrist arthritis and sports wrist injuries and distal radius. The acute treatment and reconstructive surgery of the wrist and distal radius are our major interests.
Our Mission in CHARMS is to provide a caring, efficient, seamless and personalized Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgery services with excellent clinical outcome.
And our Vision is To be the Centre of Excellence in Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgery in Singapore and the region through good clinical practice, caring and efficient team with research and continual quest for knowledge in Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgery”
Dr Lim Beng Hai
- Lim BH, Mack P, Mohan C. Cholecysto-duodeno-colic fistula–a case report. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1989 May;18(3):296-7.
- Lim BH, Toh CL, Wong HP, Pho RW. Cadaveric study on the vascular anatomy of the ulnar nerve at the elbow–a basis for anterior transposition? Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1992 Sep;21(5):689-93.
- Koh DL, Lim BH. Postoperative continuous interscalene brachial plexus blockade for hand surgery. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1995 Jul;24(4 Suppl):3-7.
- Teoh LC, Khoo DB, Lim BH, Yong FC. Osteocutaneous lateral arm flap in hand reconstruction. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1995 Jul;24(4 Suppl):15-20.
- Lim BH, Wong HP, Toh CL, Pho RW Cadaveric Study on the Effect of Transposition on the Vascularity of the Ulnar Nerve at the Elbow J Orthop Surg 1995, 3(1): 47-53
- Tsai TM, Lim BH. Free vascularized transfer of the metatarsophalangeal and proximal interphalangeal joints of the second toe for reconstruction of the metacarpophalangeal joints of the thumb and index finger using a single vascular pedicle. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1996 Nov;98(6):1080-6.
- WYC Chew, BH Lim, DBA Khoo, FC Yong, LC Teoh Controlled Ambient Temperature in the Postoperative Management of Micro reconstructive Procedures Hand Surgery, Vol. 1, No. 1(1996) 23-29
- Lim BH, Tsai TM Modified Double Loop Suture Technique for Flexor Tendon Repair J Hand Surg (British and European Volume, 1996) 21B (Suppl) 1: 26-27
- Asami A, Tsai TM, Lim BH The Association of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome with Other Upper Extremity Conditions Hand Surgery, Vol. 2, No. 1(July 1997): 1-3
- Sun L, Lim BH, Yeow V, Xin LX, Tan P. Establishment of animal models using experimental rats for allogeneic tissue transplantation and quantitative flow cytometric detection of immunochimera. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1999 Jan;28(1):90-4.
- Tsai TM, Chen IC, Majd ME, Lim BH. Cubital tunnel release with endoscopic assistance: results of a new technique. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1999 Jan;24(1):21-9.
- Gill RS, Lim BH, Shatford RA, Toth E, Voor MJ, Tsai TM. A comparative analysis of the six-strand double-loop flexor tendon repair and three other techniques: a human cadaveric study. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1999 Nov;24(6):1315-22.
- Koh WI, Lim BH. Soft Tissue Complications Following Kirschner Wire Fixation for Fusion of Basal Joint Arthritis. Hand Surg. 1999 Dec; 4(2): 197-202.
- Tan BK, Lim BH. The lateral forearm flap as a modification of the lateral arm flap: vascular anatomy and clinical implications. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000 Jun;105(7):2400-4.
- Tham CH, Lim BH. A modification of the technique for intravenous regional blockade for hand surgery. J Hand Surg [Br]. 2000 Dec;25(6):575-7.
- Lim BH, Tan BK, Peng YP. Digital replantations including fingertip and ring avulsion. Hand Clin. 2001 Aug; 17(3): 419-31, viii-ix. Review.
- Peng YP, Lim BH, Chou SM. Towards a splint-free repair for flexor tendon injuries. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2002 Sep; 31(5): 593-7.
- Dong JS, Peng YP, Zhang YX, Lim BH, Pho RW Reverse anterior tibial artery flap for reconstruction of foot donor site. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003 Nov; 112(6): 1604-12.
- Loh JS, Lim BH, Wan CT, Tan SH Second metatarsophalangeal joint: biomechanics and reconstruction potential. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004 Apr;(421):199-204.
- Ng BH, Chou SM, Lim BH, Chong A. Strain rate effect on the failure properties of tendons. Proc Inst Mech Eng [H]. 2004;218(3):203-6.
- Yam A, Tan TC, Lim BH. Intraoperative interfragmentary radial nerve compression in a medially plated humeral shaft fracture: a case report. J Orthop Trauma. 2005 Aug;19(7):491-3.
- Lahiri A, Lim AY, Qifen Z, Lim BH. Microsurgical skills training: a new concept for simulation of vessel-wall suturing. Microsurgery. 2005;25(1):21-4.
- Ng BH, Chou SM, Lim BH, Chong A The changes in the tensile properties of tendons after freeze storage in saline solution. Proc Inst Mech Eng [H]. 2005 Nov;219(6):387-92.
- Lim BH, Loh SY Reconstruction of a posttrauma arthritic distal radioulnar joint by vascularized second metatarsophalangeal joint transfer. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006 Feb;117(2):19e-23e. No abstract available.
- Chong AK, Ang AD, Goh JC, Hui JH, Lim AY, Lee EH, Lim BH. Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells influence early tendon-healing in a rabbit achilles tendon model. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007 Jan;89(1):74-81.
- Chong AK, Tan DM, Ooi BS, Mahadevan M, Lim AY, Lim BH. Comparison of forearm and conventional Bier’s blocks for manipulation and reduction of distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg [Br]. 2007 Feb;32(1):57-9. Epub 2006 Nov 22.
- Lim KH, Chew CM, Chen PC, Jeyapalina S, Ho HN, Rappel JK, Lim BH. New extensometer to measure in vivo uniaxial mechanical properties of human skin. J Biomech. 2008;41(5):931-6. Epub 2008 Feb 20.
- Lim KH, Jeyapalina S, Ho HN, Chew CM, Chen PC, Teo CL, Lim BH. Non-invasive prediction of skin flap shrinkage: a new concept based on animal experimental evidence. J Biomech. 2008;41(8):1668-74. Epub 2008 May 15.
- Wong M, Sebastin SJ, Lim BH. A simple technique of making a looped suture for flexor tendon repair. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2009 Jun;34(3):409-10. No abstract available.
- Koh HS, Yong T, Teo WE, Chan CK, Puhaindran ME, Tan TC, Lim A, Lim BH, Ramakrishna S. In vivo study of novel nanofibrous intra-luminal guidance channels to promote nerve regeneration. J Neural Eng. 2010 Aug;7(4):046003. Epub 2010 Jun 16
- Foo TL, Lim BH. Early results of combined palmar-dorsal scapholunate ligament reconstruction. Hand Surg. 2014;19(1):33-8.
- Beng-Hai Lim and Amit Gupta: Early Repair And Late Reconstruction of Crush Injuries of The Hand In The 2nd Edition of Occupational Injuries And Diseases of The Upper Extremities: pg 381-392 Edited By Kasdan, Published by Hanley & Belfus, Inc. /Philadelphia
- JE Kutz, HW Klein, T M Tsai, and BH Lim: Microvascular Free Transfer of Toe Joints In The 2nd Edition of Grabb’s Encyclopedia of Flaps Vol 2 (Upper Extremities): pg 948 – 051 Edited By B Strauch, L O Vasconez, EJ Hall-Findlay, Published by Lippincott – Raven
- Proceedings of 2nd Congress of the Asian Pacific Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand: Hand Surgery in the Next Millennium, 1999 Edited By Lam-Chuan Teoh & Beng-Hai Lim Published by Monduzzi Editore
- Tsu-Min Tsai, Beng-Hai Lim, and Gao-Meng Zhang : Vascularised Toe Joint Transfer In The Growing Hand: pg 1009 – 1019 Edited By Amit Gupta, Simon PJ Kay, Luis R Scheker Published by Mosby
- Tsu-Min Tsai, Gao-Meng Zhang, and Beng-Hai Lim: Upper-extremity Replantation in Children In The Growing Hand: pg 955 – 968 Edited By Amit Gupta, Simon PJ Kay, Luis R Scheker Published by Mosby
- Beng-Hai Lim, KoK Poh Looi and Ivor Lim General Practioners Guide to Hand Surgery
- Su Jiang Wen and Lim Beng Hai Anaesthesia in Hand Surgery
- Lim Beng Hai, Alphonsus K.S. Chong, Peng Yeong Pin Primary Flexor Tendon Surgery, Clinical Primary Flexor Tendon Repair and Rehabilitation, The Singapore Experience. In Jin Bo Tang, MD (Ed). Tendon Surgery of The Hand, 2012, PP153-156. 2012 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier Inc.
- A Yam, BH Lim
Anatomic Repairs:The Four Ligament Reconstruction (4-LR) for distal radio-ulnar joint instability. In Greenberg J (Ed) Ulnar-Sided Wrist Pain: A Master Skills Publication, pp151-159. American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2013.
- The Biomechanical Characteristics of the tendons of the hand – a human cadaveric
- Distal Radial Ulnar joint reconstruction- 4 strand technique: cadaveric evaluation of load bearing ability
- Development of an intramedullary fixation device for metacarpal shaft fractures
- Digital pre-training for microsurgery
- The influence of bone marrow derived mesenchymal stromal cells on rate of tendon healing in rabbits
- Multisensory Skin Flap Planning Asistant using a Virtual Model of Patient-Specific Biomechanics and Blood supply
- The role of radioulnar ligaments in the stability of the DRUJ during forearm supination and pronation
- A prospective study of functional outcome following intra-articular fracture of the distal radius in adults – a comparison between wxternal fixation and internal plating NHG grant
- Digital Stereo Microscope Technology, Exploit Technologies Pte Ltd A Star
- 13th Fellows and Residents Conference for the ASSH, San Francisco USA 1995
- An Anatomical Study of the Ligamentous Structure of the TFCC by Shoji Ishii, A Palmer – Discussant
- Flap Course for Residents and Fellows, Christine Kleinert Institute for Hand & Microsurgery, 30 to 31 March 1996 – Moderator
- Visiting Lecturer at Duke University Medical Centre, Division of Orthopedic Surgery, 5 to 8 May 1996
- Inaugural Scientific meeting of the Asian Pacific Federation of Societies For Surgery of The Hand, Perth, Australia, 22 to 26, March 1997
- Disorders of the Wrist organized by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 21 to 23 May 1998
- Microsurgical course for beginners, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan 28 to 29 October 1998
- Second Asian-Pacific Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand, Singapore,
- 28 February to 4 March 1999
- Visiting Asst. Clinical Professor to University of Louisville and Christine Kleinert Institute For Hand and Microsurgery, 6 to 24 June1999
- Inauguration of Ganga Microsurgery Training Institute and Symposium on Micro Surgery, Combater, India, 12 to 14 May 2000
- 3rd Asian Pacific Federation for Surgery of the Hand Congress, Chennai, India, 11 to 15 August 2000
- 8th Congress of the – International Federation of the Hand, 10 to 14 June, 2001 in Istanbul – Principles of Replantion Surgery of the Upper Extremity
- 4th Triennial International Hand and Wrist Biomechanics Symposium in Istanbul-Ezmir , Turkey, 15 June 2001
- Workshop in Wrist Surgery and Tendon Repair organized by Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong 24 to 26 August 2002
- Live surgery Workshop: Congenital Hand Surgery 8 to 9 September, 2003 Ganga Hospital Coimbatore
- 33rd Association of Plastic Surgery India Conference APISCON 2003, 10 to 13 September 2003, Ooty India
- ASEAN Orthopaedic Association Congress 2003
- Philippines Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting 10 December 2003
- Invited Speaker – Post-IFSSH 2004, Bucharest, Romania
- 10th Congress of the International Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand
- IFSSH and 7th Congress of the International Federation of Societies for Hand Therapy – IFSHT, 11 to 15 March, 2007, Sydney, Australia
- 2007 LMT Current Concepts in Upper Limb Surgery Course, Fiji Islands, 25 to 28 October 2007
- 7th Congress of Asian Pacific Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand 2008, Hong Kong, 14 to 17 February, 2008
- Post Congress Symposium-7th Congress of Asian Pacific federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand 2008, Shenzhen, China 18 to 20 February, 2008
- 54th Continuing Orthopaedic Education, Indonesian Orthopaedic Association, Pontianak, West Kalimantan 1 to 3 May, 2008
- 63rd Annual Meeting of the American Society For Surgery of the Hand (ASSH), Chicago, USA, 16 to 20 September 2008
- Reconstructive Surgery Project, Indonesia – Singapore International Foundation (SIF) Specialist Volunteer March 2010
- Korean Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery (KSRM), Annual Scientific Meeting, November 2010
- International Federation for Surgery of the Hand (IFFSH) November 2010
- 34th Indian Society for Surgery of the Hand (ISSH) in Nashik, India – November 2010
- Taiwan Hand Society 18 to 21 May 2012
- 9th Asian Pacific Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand 11 to 13 October 2012, Bali, Indonesia
- International Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand (IFSSH) Congress, New Delhi, India, 4 to 8 March 2013
- Annual Meeting 2013 (29th) Hand Surgery Association of Thailand and Micro Surgery Association of Thailand 21 to 22 March 2013
- 56th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society for Surgery of the Hand (JSSH), Kobe International Conference Center, Kobe, Japan, 18 to 19 April 2013
- Wrist Symposium Organized by Orthopedics Department, FPUKM and Malaysian Orthopaedic Association and Malaysian Society for Surgery of the Hand, 10 to 11 March 2001
- Basic management in trauma and fractures Symposium organized by the Department Of Orthopedic, Sultan Aminah Hospital, Johor 16 to 18 August 1996
- Short Course In Orthopedic – Management of Hand Injuries And Infection Organized by The Department Of Orthopedic, Sultan Aminah Hospital, Johor Baru, 20 April 1997
- Flexor Tendon Workshop 25 & 26 November 1999 organised by Jabatan Ortopedik & Traumatologi, Fakulti Perubatan, HUKM Cheras, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Symposium on Microsurgical Reconstruction of the Upper Extremity 2 & 3 May 2000) by Department of Orthopaedic & Traumatology, FPUKM, Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Cheras, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- National Symposium of Management in Hand & Upper Limb Injuries 16 to 18 August, 2007 by Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan, Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia.
- 28th Asean Orthopaedic Association Congress & 38th Malaysian Orthopaedic AGM by Malaysian Orthopaedic Association, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 26 to 29 June 2008
- 40th Malaysian Orthopaedic Association Annual General Meeting/Annual Scientific Meeting 20 to 22 May, 2010
- 41st Malaysian Orthopaedic Association Annual General Meeting/Annual Scientific Meeting & 5th ASEAN Arthroplasty Association Meeting 2011, 22 to 24 May 2011
- Malaysian Society For Surgery Of The Hand 8th Annual Scientific Meeting, 11 to 13 February 2012, Kuantan, Malaysia
- 9th Annual Scientific Meeting, Cadaveric Workshop, and Annual General Meeting 2013, 21 to 23 January 2013
- 43rd Malaysian Orthopaedic Association Annual Scientific Meeting (43RD MOA ASM), Kuching, Malaysia, 6 to 8 June 2013
- 10th Congress of Asian Pacific Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand, Kuala Lumpur, 2 to 4 October 2014.
- The International Bone Research Association Satelitte Symposium “Distal Radius Fractures”, Kuala Lumpur, 3 October 2014.